woensdag 18 juni 2008

Planetfall - The silliness of our kind


Being held in Lockdown and no idea how long it would take, I decided to take a few days leave of absence. I went down to the planet and observed the locals and was amazed how much they were into a game, in which teams from all over the little blue globe competed against each other for honor of country, mocked and ground to dust each other when one was defeated, and shone pure hatred and envy to the other side, and those who did the hating didn't really do anything else but yell at their own team, distracting them from scoring the points. Those who win tear down everything around them in pure victory bliss, those who loose tear down all that surrounds them in pure frustration. In each case, people break things, and for what... because some atlets have competed.

These people seemed oblivious to the interstellar cold war that was going round just above their cloud-deck, four races of the same origin people trying to kill and maim each other in blind love for their own species.

Now I might be a simple pilot, but surely this way, the game and the war, it's quite the same, pointless, and cannot go on this way. No one can win, as the sons take up the arms of the fathers, or the cousins will, and no one group can truely eradicate anothe completely, no matter how hard they try, so the circle will go on and on and on.
So in general, every so often years, groups come to blows to compete in who is the stronger of that time and generally hate each other, but no one really knows what is to gain by it. Is it Glory? Pride? There is no glory, no pride, because the ones who proudly shout for the glory of their team amount to absolutely nothing, a useless guesture like screaming into the wind to stop. They don't create anything or help anyone, actions that live on. In basis, they just act this way to feel closer to each other, because they are proud together for the athletes of their realm, and it's just an excuse to drink vast amounts of alcohol, which blurrs their vision and their judgement.

It all made me remember what a friend once said to me, on a late night when I was trying to drink away the land-swagger one gets after being in space too long.

'To be true in honor, one must be the one whose hands are dirty in helping others. To be proud to live in a certain place means seeing and honoring those who do the work no one else can.'

The silliness of mankind...


To those who think they don't like me,
because I speak my mind.
You are not the first, not the last,
to think you can better me.

I just throw a mirror to reflect your self,
your actions, your words, your mind.
It is not me you hate,
but what you see me to be.

Just wait until you get to know me,
listen to me, think about the words a while.
Then you'll REALLY don't like me.

Because then you will truely know
I don't care a bit about you
until you speak your mind,
just like I do now.

So hate me in your anger,
beat me, even kill me,
and you'll only dissolve
in the acid you've spewed.

But embrace me in your kindness,
and you will be embraced.
See me for a wonder,
and I will see you too.

Kyraiela, 2008

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten